AFFILIATION AND PARTICIPATION:
Mobile Voices, VozMob, Voces Mobiles is structured in a way that acknowledges that organizations/groups that are organizing are only facilitators in leadership development. Thus, we have set up a horizontal decision-making structure that allows staff and workers to together make decisions about the Mobile Voices Project.
Our vision: is to create a network of organizations that work with low-wage immigrant and non-immigrant workers who have been excluded from traditional media and from the digital public sphere and who actively share their stories with the world and strengthen the voice of struggle and success of our communities. We want to create a space where communities connect with their stories not only online but take the time to hear and see each other offline to create a world where their voices are no longer silenced.
To avoid misunderstanding we decided to put this word of caution:
Only Affiliates who are listed on this website are part of vozmob.net, mobile voices, vozmob, and voces moviles family/network. Our participatory model reinforces agreed upon core values which guide our work. Transparency, integrity, honesty, community-decision making, and equitable resource distribution is but a few of the values embraced and enforced by our collective. Because we take our participatory model very seriously we want to give credit to affiliate organizations who are bound to the same principles, respect each other and do not use our name without permission as a way to receive funding and build upon the work of the team of workers who have devoted their time and effort to the success of this project.
To become an affiliate and /or Participate:
If you are interested in participating in VozMob, first please be familiar with our mission and editorial policy. If you have questions, we would be happy to talk to you about them.
How the Affiliation Process works:
Currently, to get an account on VozMob.net, you need to be part of a group that is participating in VozMob, or take part in a Vozmob workshop or action. We believe that organizing is a way to make social change and creating groups that amplify our voices is the best way to begin social change.
To become an Affiliate of VozMob you must follow the following steps:
1) Decide if you meet the Criterion for affiliation as described below.
2) If you meet the affiliation criterion you will need to fill out our application. By requesting one here http://vozmob.net/contact
3) Once we received your application, active VozMob affiliates will review your application and contact you with any additional questions about your interest, existing tech capacity, the level of support you will need, and so on. We will then set up a conference call to talk about your application. (This happens once a month)
If you do not meet the criterion for affiliation you are welcome (and encouraged!) to install the VozMob code and set up your own version of the site on your own server. As such, you will create your own name, vision, and mission of the site that you would like to create. You will be using the VozMob software. For instructions on how to do this, please visit the project’s wiki: http://dev.vozmob.net/projects/vozmob/wiki/Installation. Everyone is welcome to connect with VozMob. At the same time, it is meant to be a people of color and marginalized communities’ majority space.
Criterion for Group Affiliation
VozMob is a space that prioritizes the voices of:
- groups of people who have been excluded, made invisible, and silenced in the mass media and online sphere .
- immigrant workers, low-income people, people of color, youth, LBGTIQ communities and folks who have been marginalized.
In order to be an affiliate you must:
-Be a group, collective, and/or organization organizing in your community for social, environmental, economic, educational and media justice among others.
- Use organizing models based on popular education, that emphasize power sharing, participation, horizontalism, consensus, and community accountability.
- Be interested in creating a space for low wage workers to share their stories and connect with each other to amplify their voices.
In general, VozMob is not a space for:
- random individuals or groups who would like a mobile blog. If you are just looking for a place to blog from your mobile phone, most social network sites and blogging platforms now support that functionality. Just google “blog from my mobile phone.” ;)
- Nonprofit organizations that are primarily service oriented, or do not engage in community organizing. Remember, you are always free to use our code and set up your own mobile blogging community if you like!
- Social movement organizations that primarily work with communities who are well-represented in mass media and online spaces.
Everyone is welcome to connect with VozMob. At the same time, it is meant to be a people of color and marginalized communities majority space who are actively involve in working for justice and sharing struggles and victories.